Look who's reading my book in NEW JERSEY! It's Thea, Daisy and Otis! Thanks, kitties! Go here to see these sweet kitties featured in my latest newsletter!
Friday, November 18, 2011
Tuesday, November 15, 2011
Saturday, November 12, 2011
Wouldn't it be delightful to own one of these? Just imagine the delight of pulling out each little item and using it. I don't know what's best -- the items themselves or the clever way they all fit with such tidy precision into the beautiful box.
From the Museum's Website:
Travelling set of Empress Marie Louise of France (silver-gilt,
gold, mother-of-pearl, tortoiseshell and other materials; width of case 56 cm);
Martin Guillaume Biennais and workshop, Paris, 1812
The set was a present from Napoleon, "Emperor of the French", to his second wife, Marie Louise of Austria, the eldest daughter of Emperor Franz I of Austria. The precious case has a number of cleverly disguised secret compartments and bears the signature of Biennais, the most famous goldsmith of the day, under the key-plate. It contains more than 120 items, made from silver-gilt, gold, mother-of-pearl, tortoiseshell, ivory and ebony, and including a dinner service for two, a toiletry set, writing and sewing implements, a measuring rod, a screwdriver and even dentist's instruments.
Tuesday, November 8, 2011
You can win an autographed copy of my new book!
1. Reblog this contest on your blog. -- one entry (tell me in the comment section below with the link).
2. tweet this contest -- one entry (tell me in the comment section below with the link).
3. Post this contest on Facebook (tell me in the comment section below with the link).
4. Subscribe to the History Scroll Newsletter (3 entries!)
5. Follow this blog (as a blogger member -- 3 entries!)
Contest ends December 15, 2011.